Brought to you by CrossFit 42South and CrossFit Works.

Monday 18 July 2011

Be yourself......

By Anna

"Why can't I train like that person? Gym stats always up, always on top of their game, always consistent, they never miss a session. Wish I could stop eating the leftovers from the kid's lunch boxes! No one else does that. I don't need that sandwich, I am not even hungry. Wish I wasn't grumpy with the girls this morning, my friends are always calm and kind. I know I need to do those jobs around the house or give my partner some down time, maybe tomorrow, just wish I could do it today......"

We all have different backgrounds, levels of knowledge, varied jobs, changing travel times, leisure hours, family commitments, friends, financial burdens etc. You might be doing a great job with your 'clean eating.' Your Mum/wife/husband/friend might cook and shop for you. Or you might get home at 6pm everyday after picking up the kids and have to cook dinner. You might be going to the gym six days a week. Your school/work times might allow for this consistency and you make the most of it. Or you might be a shift worker, live in the country, rely on public transport, have a young family or have had to start a second job.

This is not about making excuses. It is about finding happiness in your own journey and realising that we all are on a different path. Don't wish to be someone else. If there is something you don't like about your situation and you can - then change it. If you can't change it, learn to accept it and work with it the best way you can.

Everyone's journey is different. Some days are difficult and some days aren't.

Do what you can, where you are with what you have. No one can ask anymore - especially you!

6 comments:

  1. NIce post Anna. It can be frustrating to have higher aspirations than life will allow you to achieve. One step at a time. I still want to kick crossfit ass like you one day though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey..... you will know what I am talking about when I say, that I can't even do one 40 kg snatch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post Anna. I know it was for everyone, but felt like it was for me! I hope one day to have time to do things I want to do, and be able to make the most of my time! Oh and not think I'm crap at stuff.. :-) you are an awesome chic, can't wait to get back to gym!

    ReplyDelete
  4. True that!
    Anna this is an awesome post and people will realize that we are all in the same boat on this issue! So while one person is thinking "I wish I was like them" - for whatever reason- that person they want to be like may be looking right back thinking "I wish I could be like them!" -for another reason.

    As far as changing it, if you can change something, anything you are unhappy with, DO IT!
    You will not regret it!
    It may be scary at first but once you've gone through with it, cleared all the things you are unhappy with, things that hold you back and you release yourself you'll be free, happy and content with, being yourself!

    So do not hold back people take a risk and make your life what you want it to be!

    Remember, those who do not CREATE their future, must ENDURE the future they get!

    -finally figured out how to post on this! Woot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice comments guys! This whole thing is inspiring!

    Setting goals, aims and ambitions is something that I have always managed to do however I often find myself getting frustrated that they just don't seem to be getting closer as quickly as I would like. Its at these time I have to remind myself, or someone else does, to stop and look at where I have come from and all the little goals I have already reached.

    Yes sometimes I feel like I'm closer to achieving 'world peace' than being able to fix my overhead squat but then I think of the time I had never heard of a overhead squat or thought about trying it.

    The other hard part while trying to achieve these goals is not to look around and think 'but they can do it why can't I??' Once again its taking that time to see the small steps and progress and embracing them and accepting the challenge of continuing with your goals. The crossfit environment is the best place I have found to do this. The support and encouragement provided there has allowed me to achieve more than I ever believed was possible! the support and encouragement has also helped so much with my mental health. I used to stress the little things, feel inadequate when unable to do the things I thought I should and over analyse so much. My mind was in over drive. Crossfit is a place I go however it is the people there that have help me learn and grow. Its ok to be bad at something, its ok to fail or its ok to have a 'goat', its ok to accept support, enocouragement and help as you work to better your own life.

    Nutrion wise its setting the same little miilestones. I know that setting myself unrealistic goals, or other peoples nutrition goals will never work for me. The support, help and encouragement that is given at every turn has helped me to slowly change my life, diet and mental attitude.

    Sometime I feel I come in grumpy, tired, negative or upset but an hour after I walk through those doors, there has never been a time that I haven't left feeling supported and encouraged. I may never be one of those amazingly inspiring people that just ooze positive vibes everyday and have a way of just brightening others day but this is now one of my newest goals, you guys inspire me! SO for that and all the help, support and encouragement, to everyone, I don't say it enough but a great big THANK YOU I appreicate it more than you'll ever realise!

    Son

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is a balance. We may be fantastic athletes by directing our time and effort towards exercise but hopeless partners/family members/in financial oblivion etc.

    Balancing is not easy and this article made this simple point beautifully. Thanks Anna - you make me feel much less guilty about being a better Dad at the cost of being a little less fit.

    Cheers

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete