Brought to you by CrossFit 42South and CrossFit Works.

Saturday 23 July 2011

Old Dog...New Tricks

Can a person redesign his approach to nutrition after being indoctrinated by ‘ well intentioned research’ for so many years?

That is the question I continually asked myself when I started Crossfit.

You see I come from a nutrition background where carbohydrates rule and to perform faster and better all you needed to do was is improve your eating

My breakfast consisted of 8 weetbix, lite milk, honey and fruit (the breakfast of champions). Lunch was usually a hot meal of stir fry chicken and vegetables and dinner was something light. In between if I was hungry I ate an abundance of fruit. This was my staple diet. I was under the assumption I was doing just great. After all this is what I was taught (and in fact had researched) to eat.

Life did not get better than this, pre and post workouts were pasta (tomato based of course) and plenty of fish for Omega 3’s.

No bad food, I have never opted for take away meals and don’t over indulge in chocolates or biscuits etc. Having said that if there was chocolate in the house I would eat every last piece! Yummy.

Crossfit and coffee go hand in hand and if attending I usually had a skinny cappuccino, which amused Anna and DW no end. (Whatever guys, have you seen my six pack - I am living the dream!)

Anna was always on to me to eat correctly. Why I thought? My philosophy is to stand naked in front of a mirror and if you are happy with what you see, then continue on your way or change it. It’s not rocket science, is it? Why would I need to change? After all I am a decent CrossFitter posting some good times. For example Diane 2.59, Grace 2.57 , Elizabeth 7.22. Remember I am 50 years old. So why change?

Ok, I get the chance to qualify for the 2011 Games and want an edge. My wife thought I was crazy when I came home and opted for bacon and eggs and advised her I was going Paleo.

For breakfast now its 6 pieces of bacon, 6 eggs , tomatoes and avocado, full cream milk coffee, lunch is steak and vegetables in coconut cream and dinner the same. I only eat real food. But to store Glycogen into my liver quickly I use fruit as my sugar for energy. My body loves this and I now recognise, demands it.

How has it improved my life? Well it took about 2 months to convert and get it right. The biggest improvement I have seen and what pleases me the most are that my times are way better. For example, Diane 2.43, Elizabeth 6.20 and although I haven’t done Grace yet I did get 21 reps of clean and Jerk 60kg in 1.30. Yes, I believe there is more to come. I am off to compete in the World Games next week and fingers crossed I will see good and hopefully even better results.

So at 50 you can teach old dogs new tricks. I now preach the gospel to everyone and anyone. I strongly encourage you to improve your health and well being by adopting this eating plan

Thanks to Anna and DW for showing me the way, at times I am sure they thought, he is never gonna change (they are still working on the skins!!!)

2 comments:

  1. I suggest every one watch the doco/movie Food Inc. It's very interesting and disgusting at the same time. It focuses on the food processing in the US. I have it if anyone would like to borrow.

    Good luck next week Russ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I feel pretty much the same, six pack excluded.

    Good luck at the games, we are all so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete