Brought to you by CrossFit 42South and CrossFit Works.

Saturday 9 July 2011

Changing my life for good!

By Eve.

Like most women I have had a long fitness/dieting journey. I have tried many things to get fit and lose weight. I only ever had to walk past a bakery to put on the five kilos I had spent 4 months losing on the Kate Morgan shake diet. I have never been massively overweight, but I have been massively unhealthy. Working as a nurse, doing shift work and being time poor was the excuse for eating out, not sleeping much, sporadic exercise that I was dedicated to for a few weeks then got bored and stopped. So I yo-yo dieted, yo-yo exercised and probably ate too many yo-yo biscuits as well – washed down with diet coke because that is so much better for you right???
Since finally bowing to Sonya’s pressure to check out this thing called Crossfit, a big change has come over my life. For the past three months Adam and I have been through the transition to a Paleo/Primal diet. We initially went cold turkey – I cleaned out the fridge and the cupboards and we were pretty strict. It was difficult and still continues to be. We have our massive fails at times but we get back on the wagon and keep going. To me, giving up is the biggest fail and being able to forgive yourself for the down times is important. But like many things in life and Crossfit as well, it is the mental battle that we have to overcome to get to where we want to be.
What keeps me going in the down times is the massive benefits that keep coming from my new lifestyle:
Health – I am fitter, stronger, I look better naked (you will just have to take my word for it!), have more energy and I fit in to a size 8 dress now. I sleep better, even my work performance is better and no horrible nurses back for me!
Lifestyle – I love going to Crossfit - my day feels incomplete without it now. I have met so many awesome people that have shown me that you don’t have to live an unhealthy life just because so many other people do.
Mental – I am less stressed, now I go to Crossfit and smash out a workout when I am angry instead of drowning my sorrows in a bottle of wine (though that still happens occasionally!).
I credit most of this to the change in my diet. I was so sluggish eating our “Western” diet and I never understood why. There is no turning back for me now because the results speak for themselves. Even though a lot of my family and friends say Adam and I are crazy doing all this – my answer for them is this. When you feel this good and keep getting the results that I am why would you want to go back??
So I encourage everyone who is trying out this new Paleo/Primal diet to stick it out, if u have a fail, forgive yourself and keep going – it is so worth it!


1 comment:

  1. Great post Eve, both you guys have come a long way in your CrossFit and clean eating journey, it's really good to see!

    ReplyDelete