Brought to you by CrossFit 42South and CrossFit Works.

Monday 11 July 2011

John's Story

By January 2010 a decade of poor diet and exercise had caught up with me. I was carrying close to 100 kg on a height of 176 cm making me tip the BMI scale at a tad over 30. I was obese, I snored to the point of sleep apnea, and was tired and lethargic during the day. My clothes no longer fitted and family were constantly nagging me about losing that bulge around my middle. My public service desk job didn't afford much physical activity at work and apart from a bit of walking, I wasn't particularly active away from work. I was also painfully aware that my father had been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes at around my age (I was 47 year old in 2010) and I felt sure that I was well on the way to doing so as well.

So I decided that I had to reverse direction not only for my own sake but also for my family's. I started out in the traditional fashion of trying to "lose weight and get fitter" by eating less and exercising more. Initially I was only aiming at walking 10,000 steps a day and just eating what I usually ate but just smaller quantities. There were three problems with this strategy: firstly, it was hard to find the time in the day to get to the 10,000 steps - it required over an hour of dedicated walking plus a fair bit of incidental walking during the day;
secondly, I found that by "just eating less" I felt hungry all the time and occasionally gave in my cravings and had extra pasta, or bread, or potatoes or worse; and thirdly, it just didn't work.

I, like many others thought that a calorie was a calorie was a calorie and all I needed to do was to consume less calories in order to lose weight. I needed to start tracking things a bit more closely so I threw out the old mechanical bathroom scales we had which seemed to have an accuracy of +/- 2 kg and bought a new digital bathroom scale. It was February 2010 and the new scales had me at 98.1 kg. I carried on for a while trying to eat less with a moderate level of activity and managed to get down to 95 kg and stayed there.

Late March 2010 I was listening to a podcast interview with Art De Vaney who just sounded amazing. He started talking about "evolutionary fitness" and how we just consume too many refined carbohydrates. He also mentioned a book by Gary Taubes: "Good Calories; Bad Calories" which went into the metabolic aspects of diet in detail. Art also emphasised the need to build up lean muscle mass and how that also played a role in the body's metabolism. I found Art's essay on Evolutionary Fitness on-line and immediately went out and bought two 5 kg weights. Something had clicked and suddenly I had something that made sense and appeared to have good science behind it.

Initially I was shocked by what I heard and read. I could understand that lots of sugar was bad but more saturated fats, more protein, and less carbohydrates - especially refined carbohydrates went against all "common wisdom". But I was getting desperate and the more I looked into it the more evidence began to surface, so I was willing to give it a try for a month or so.

So in April 2010 I started exercising with two 5 kg hand weights and restricting carbohydrates in my diet. I also got Good Calories; Bad Calories out of the library (twice - it's a big book and it took me a while to get through it all!). Without any specific prescribed dietary
plan I increased proteins and fats and green vegetables and decreased refined carbohydrates. It wasn't quite going "cold turkey", but it was close to it. Sugar and other sweets I found were one of the hardest things to give up. That, along with potato chips.

Results were dramatic and almost immediate.

By May I was down to 90 kg. I decided that I really needed to up my activity and increase my muscle mass so I joined the Kingborough Fitness Centre and started work on doing circuits of the weight machines on two or three sessions a week. By the end of June I had reached 85 kg and there I stayed for most of the rest of 2010.

June 2010 was a bad month as my father (76) was hospitalised with a really nasty life threatening infection after a course of chemotherapy for lymphoma. He ended up in intensive care for over a month and had to spend many months after that recovering in rehabilitation before he could go home. It really made me realise the importance of good health - without your health, what do you have? This whole episode gave me strong motivation to lose the excess weight I was carrying and maintain a healthy and active lifestyle. There are a lot of things you can't
control in this life, but weight and fitness and nutrition was something I could have some influence over.

During the first half of 2011 I had discovered that what I had been roughly following was called the "Paleo Diet" or "Paleo Lifestyle" - a variant of the "Low Carb Diet". Other figures in this movement such as Robb Wolf had their own podcasts and books which I looked into and used to fine tune what I was doing and what I was eating. Wolf advocates "grain free; legume free; dairy free" and goes into more depth about the ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 saturated fats and other finer points on diet and exercise. I can't say that I follow his advice completely, but nowadays I get fairly close most weeks, although I have the occasional glass of red wine. One of the biggest changes I've made is the massive reduction in eating a lot of prepackaged processed foods. I am forever scrutinising the labeling on food packaging only to discover added sugar, or copious amounts of industrial seed oil, or other nasties.

So now my weight had stabilised at about 82 kg and I was getting a bit bored with the machines. Realising the limitations of the exercise machines but lacking the knowledge and confidence to do much with free weights I needed to head in a new direction. I saw a CrossFit Works flyer on the desk at the Fitness Centre. That rang a bell. Robb Wolf mentioned CrossFit in his podcasts and I had seen it occasionally mentioned here and there amongst the on-line Paleo community. Not really knowing what it was about I went along to an introductory session and now I'm hooked - every class is varied and fun and hard and sometimes quite scary. I know I'm making progress and to make or improve on an Rxd is such a great feeling. After a month and a half of CrossFit I'm now down to 80 kg.

It's all coming together now: the nutrition and the fitness and 18 kg lighter than when I started in January 2010.




8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey, John. You've done a fantastic job, well done!

    Today's intake:
    7am: eggs, bacon, avocado, EV olive oil
    11:30am: celery, almond butter
    1:30pm: pumpkin and sweet potato soup
    8:30pm: chicken fingers* and cauliflower with garlic butter and coconut milk

    *chicken fingers
    Pretty much just cut up a chicken breast into strips, dipped the pieces in a whisked egg then rolled in almond flour and spices (I used LOTS of spices, but it worked) then fry in EV olive oil until brown. Quick, simple, messy but good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John I am absolutely amazed!! I had no clue that the fit, healthy, specs wearing man in my xfit class had this history! This is truly one of the most inspiring testimonials i have read and once again clearly illustrates the benefits of clean eating! Hooray for you and to everyone else who is engaging in this challenge! Keep going and you will have years of good health ahead :)

    Also like to thank people for their great posts over last 12 days - all have been great reads and have inspired me to 'stay strong' (even during the wee small hours of night duty when bowls of red frogs and honey soy chips have magically appeared!).

    Talking of night duty, just wondered if anyone else has noticed how little you eat during the night when you're clean eating? I just had a few pieces of cheese and some nuts (plus IV coffee!) to keep me going.

    Hey Tan I love reading what you've been eating - your chicken fingers sound delish, just wondered whether you'd considered cooking them in butter/ghee/coconut oil? It's good to cook in fats that are solid at room temp (you'll have to wait til friday night and ask Andy why!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Ash

    John i don't think we have met, but well done mate, a real great effort.
    So we are getting close to our talk with Andy Gibbens, which i'm pumped for, but my questions are banking up, so here is one for someone to hopefully answer for me. I don't tend to eat till lunch or afta a WOD apart from a coffee (or 2), and then dinner both clean meals, but then i find i am wanting to snack from dinner till bed time !! is any one els having this???

    Aw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John

    We have never met but i feel we have a lot in common and would have some good things to talk about, so hopefully we will meet soon.

    Ash thats fine as far as im concerned.....i sometimes dont eat till lunch and have just lived on Coffee till that first meal. I sometimes have 3 good clean meals during the day and still feel like a snack, just have a clean snack like cheese. Eat when your hungry mate, not because you think you should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Ash

    Cheers Cam, yeah i guess its ok, i think its more a mentel thing coz i know there is food there, but i guess as long as its clean its all good.
    Aw

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ash, good question and I too sometimes experience this too, but i would disagree with Cam - the 12 steps suggest only eating 2-3 meals a day and avoiding snacking like a herbivore. While you snack you're keeping your blood sugars elevated and therefore pumping out more insulin. leptin is the hormone that is released in the gut which tells the brain your satisfied. Leptin works in opposite to insulin (elevated when insulin is low)therefore whilst your insulin is elevated your leptin will be low and your brain will still be getting the message your hungry. Maybe try and include more fat in your meals, which promotes satiety (i've become big fan of sour cream - mix it with mustard to have on meat or just whack a dollop on your plate). Interesting fact - infant formula contains no leptin (as opposed to breast milk which contains lots) therfore babies fed formula are not able to regulate when they are full, perhaps this has an impact on future eating patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breastfeeding is the first source of clean eating! Feeding habits when young definitely shape our future, just like the healthy balanced diet literature we have all grown to know until now! I'd like to comment in regards to Cam and Emily's posts. I know the 12 steps say 2-3 meals a day but I also agree with Cam eat when your hungry. I generally have 2-3 a day and usually with high fat intake however some days like yesterday I only had one meal whereas others it maybe 4. Maybe something to question Andy about. Also people don't mistake thirst for hunger!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Ash

    Cheers 4 the tips guys, i think your rite Em with fasting and not grazing, all will come out tomorrow nite..

    Aw

    ReplyDelete