Brought to you by CrossFit 42South and CrossFit Works.

Saturday 2 July 2011

Hunting and Gathering on a Sunday Morning

By Emily

I have actually helped kill and butcher a pig before now but these days my SoHo lifestyle lends itself to more conventional means of acquiring food, like shopping at shops and markets.

Tania reminded me yesterday of the Farmers Gate Market, which is on every Sunday at the Melville st carpark. Wicked suggestion Tan, it was a great place to buy 'clean' products - I bought a whole shopping bag of green leafy veg (kale, spinach, bok choy, coriander) and some radishes (I eat them like apples). I also purchased a bunch of purple carrots that piqued my interest, the stallholder said they tasted a bit like sweet potato (and no they had not been dipped in purple food colouring!).

As mentioned yesterday I have been keen to try some kangaroo, none to be found this morning but instead I bought some wallaby sausages from the Bruny Island Game meat stall - when i asked him what was in them he said "wallaby meat, additional wallaby fat and seasoning" - I've never seen a fat wallaby but he assured me some are definitely fatter than others and it's these he turns into sausages - couldn't sound much cleaner! I also got sucked into buying some Bruny Island cheese ('Oen' the one wrapped in vine leaf). I had to break out the credit card but it probably works out cheaper than a tub of icecream and is certainly kinder on the pancreas! On the way home i stopped in at Salad bowl (another great place for purchasing clean supplies) and grabbed 2 bottles of full cream elgar milk ($2.80 with a 60cent refund when you take back the glass bottle) and avocados (currently 2 for $2).

So where do you guys go a gathering? Anyone aware of any great specials this week that we should all stock up on?

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Em - love it.

    We are so spoilt in Tassie for access to clean food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it to the market Em, I'll have to make a trip there soon!

    Today's intake:

    3:30am: 4 eggs, avocado, lettuce, tomato, garlic butter
    3pm: 3 eggs, garlic butter
    8pm: chicken breast, onion, garlic, coriander, tomatoes, EV olive oil

    Weird food times due to work last night. I'm always starving when I get home from work and can never just go straight to sleep. And no alcohol last night! Tempted after making an interesting shot for a customer though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey well done Tan - You've made an awesome start to clean eating/dry July!

    Thanks for all the suggestions re increasing my water intake - for the past 2 mornings i've filled up a litre water bottle and drunk it all before having my first coffee! Having a second bottle in the afternoon means I'm now downing 2 litres plus and consequently feeling way more hydrated!

    Weekend intake
    Sat 02/07/11
    9.15am Burger King coffee (i know, big mistake but rushing between boxes and trying to avoid burpees!)
    1pm 3 fried eggs, bacon, toms, mushrooms all cooked in butter. 2xfull fat coffees with added cream!
    4.30pm Mushroom and asparagus frittata with salad
    8pm Osso bucco (beef on the bone) with tomato, cabbage, onion and pumpkin. 2x glasses sparkling
    9.30pm Cup rooibush tea

    Sunday 03/07/11
    8.30am 1 litre water!
    10.00am Full fat latte
    12.30 Butter chicken, lots of cheese + radishes
    2.00pm Another litre water!
    3.30pm Small bowl macadaemias and almonds
    6.30pm More cheese
    7.30 Full fat coffee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Em and Tan.

    I also love to get to the farmers market. There is something special about purchasing from the person that has grown the food that makes me feel good before I even eat the produce. Drum and I would not survive the week with out our stockpile of frittata that we use for breaki or lunch (that I do have to ration as it is such an easy grab!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post Emily!!
    I have marked it in my diary as a MUST do in the next few weeks.
    The photo of all your "clean" food looks very beautiful..... Almost like looking at a Donna Hay cookbook..... Minus all the sugar :-)
    I might even venture out of my comfort zone and try something new...... make sure you report back on the wallaby sausages.

    Well my slow cooker is on with a yummy stew for dinner and the oven is cranked all ready to fry up some chicken legs using supafry animal fat for lunches tomorrow. Next on my list...... homemade Tzatziki.

    Picked up a leg of Murray Valley free range pork at the butcher in Kingston town today. On sale this week for $12.99kg :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also..... I am struggling a little bit with my food journal. Can anyone give me a clear definition of a "refined" ingredient??
    Refined means processed so does this include things like almond meal? And bacon? Also cheese and milk?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing Em and Tan!

    As a 'recovering vegetarian', I'm now making the transition to enviro-paleo, or perhaps it's paleo-hippy.

    The Meville St market on Sundays is one of my favourite places to pick up fruit and veges. There's heaps of fresh, seasonal produce that hasn't travelled far to get to my plate, and it's reassuring to know that my money is going straight to the farmer, rather than some big company!

    Salamanca on Saturday is also great for cheap veges, especially if you're buying in bulk.

    Growing whatever you can for yourself is fantastic, because you know exactly where your food is coming from - I live in a tiny apartment but on my balcony I grow spinach, rainbow chard, bok choy, mushrooms, mint and parsley (and in summer loads of lettuce).

    Being paleo-hippy about my meat has been a big challenge, but I try and get plenty of my protein from animals with lower enviro impact (nice work on the wallaby!!) and also from free-range eggs. Betta and Ashgrove are both Tassie-based dairys who make lovely full-cream milk and cream. Sure it might cost a bit more than the Coles-brand stuff, but I get a lovely warm fuzzy feeling in my heart knowing that I'm Tassie As. :)

    ReplyDelete